Marking Up PDF Documents
Tuesday, Oct. 28
What is a PDF Reader/Editor and why do I need one on my tablet or notebook computer?
How do they work?
Will this technology work for me?
Dan Dorau and Susanna Pathak
Brought to you by the Technology Advisory Work Group and Dehon Library
Thanks to all who sent in an entry for the “Just Tell Us” contest. Here are some of the comments & suggestions that were shared and of course, our four gift card winners, too.
What do you love best about Dehon Library?
- I really love the silence and reclining chairs. They combine for a perfect place to study, sleep, or relax in quiet.
- 24/7 access to library (for those with a key); it is rare to have this kind of access–even in seminaries !! Second favorite like: bar code check out !!
- Convenient corner for studying and the whole-hearted help of staff-library
- The people. Everyone is so extremely helpful, welcoming, and friendly! They are never to busy to offer help on the computers or with resources or just friendly advice. They always have a smile and go the extra mile to be of service. Thank you!!!
- I love the variety of resources that the Dehon library has to offer, especially the corner to study and be comfortable.
- I love the services and free books.
- i love the openness of the staff to serve us.
- i love the schedule.
- I do love also the free books outside.
What would be a dream service you’d like to see us offer?
- A coffee bar (machine–for free or modest cost) with espresso, Latte, Mocha, etc
- Add leather recliners
- I would love to see the Dehon library sponsor lunch-time talks centering around the theology of various famous theologians of the 20th century. Perhaps different professors would volunteer their knowledge and share their love. A different theologian every talk.
Any great ideas for Dehon Library?
- I would really like to see the library offer some online resources, specifically for writing papers using Microsoft Word and doing Powerpoint presentations.
- Remind to someone who leave the library late remember to turn of the light before they leave; remind to somebody who make noisy in our library.
- I would encourage Dehon Library to continue expanding their online journal subscription, because so many great resources are available through that medium.
And these four individuals have won a $25 iTunes gift card: Michael Hopper, Thang (Peter) Nguyen, Charlene Lammers, & Andrew Linn! Happy listening!
During Week 3 (Oct 13-18), our students, staff and faculty have been invited to submit answers to any of these questions:
- What do you love best about Dehon Library?
- What would be a dream service you’d like to see us offer?
- Any great ideas for Dehon Library?
We’ll feature their replies on this blog. Four lucky persons will win an iTunes gift card.
Our celebration of Theological Libraries Month (TLM) continues this week with two invitations.
1. New Books List: Enhanced Format
Check out the new format for the list of new items Dehon Library has acquired in September. All the titles on the list now have permalinks meaning you can click on the title and go right to the TOPCAT record! Try it out and then find the book on the New Book Shelf just inside the library doors. New books may be checked out for the regular 28-day loan period.
2. Book Spine Poetry Contest
Celebrate TLM with book spine poetry by creating your own poetry using an artfully arranged stack of books from your library.
Dehon Library users are encouraged to create poetry using the titles of books from the library and snap a photo. Post your photo to Twitter or Facebook using #TLM2014. Be sure to tag @yourATLA on Twitter or on Facebook so you can be entered into the contest.
The American Theological Library Association (ATLA) will be will be reposting their favorite photos throughout the month of October. Three winners will be chosen and showcased in the ATLA Newsletter and receive a $25 gift card.
All photos must be posted by midnight on October 31. Winners will be announced in the November Newsletter.
Dehon Library staff will check the ATLA Newsletter and let you know if you’ve won!
A focus on some mighty special library resources and services along with some good doses of FUN (treats, contests, prizes) are on tap each week in October as we celebrate Theological Libraries Month with you, our community.
I’m sharing a “10 cool things” brochure with items Dehon Library offers that may be news to you. This brochure is also available on the New Books Shelf in the library. Also on the shelf is a container of treats. You’re invited to glance at the latest new books and grab a pack of M&Ms!
You’ll find a good old fashioned paper bookmark in your mailbox this week to mark the national Theological Libraries Month celebration and provide you with a handy reminder of our website: leodehonlibrary.org
On behalf of the staff (Ann Owen, Kathy Harty, Sr. Marjorie Ann Eisenmenger, and myself), our student assistants (Steven Langenbrunner, Pila Tulua-Alvarez, and Henry Wertin) and our great volunteers, please celebrate with us the joys of all things LIBRARY here at Sacred Heart Seminary & School of Theology.
Susanna Pathak, Director of Library and Academic Technology Services