The Leo Dehon Library was officially founded in 1932. Efforts were immediately begun to collect and build a first-class seminary library. It has grown from the original 20 shelves to nearly 100,000 items.
Besides supporting the priestly formation programs at Sacred Heart, the library serves the personal, pastoral and academic needs of registered patrons from the wider community.
While retaining major emphasis on theological and scriptural materials, the library maintains a well-balanced general book collection, with strengths in the areas of philosophy, church history, social justice, canon law and the Mozarabic Rite. Additionally, the library subscribes to over 300 periodicals and relevant research aids. The majority of these are listed in the American Theological Library Association Serials index and other theological and scriptural abstracts. It also maintains a substantial collection of audiovisual materials in various formats.
Internet access is available at several public access computers in the library itself, and there is wireless access throughout the building.
Leo Dehon Library is a full member of the Southeastern Wisconsin Information Technology Exchange (SWITCH) consortium which operates our online catalog and provides access to the library collections of seven other private colleges, universities and graduate schools in the Milwaukee area. SHSST patrons have access to nearly 1 million items from the consortium. Students can request SWITCH materials online and have them delivered directly to Sacred Heart. The library also provides inter-library loan from other libraries.